Let's take a look!
What type of experiment is this?
Experimental procedure and explanation:
- Make a sprinkler-like toy to use when sprinkling water.
- Make two holes in a plastic bottle cap (pin vise and a file used here). This work is difficult, so be sure to do it with an adult. It is difficult to make a hole in the plastic bottle cap, so you can use a paper cup instead (let's try various things).
- Insert a straw into this hole and bend the straw.
- Mount it on the turntable made in "Turn with a stream of water".
- When water is poured from above, water will flow out of the straw and the sprinkler will rotate.
- When water comes out of the outlet of the straw, a force acts on the straw in the opposite direction (called action / reaction) and functions to rotate the sprinkler (called moment of force).
- It can be dangerous to do handicrafts, so let’s do this with an adult.
- Water is an important resource. Be careful not to waste water.
|[Keywords]||Angular momentum theory|
|[Related items]||Turn with a stream of water|
|[Reference]||“The Wonders of Flow,” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering, Kodansha Blue Backs, P114-117
“Illustrated Trivia Fluid Mechanics”, Tokyo: Natsumesha, P170-173